Brandon has gotten all three of his TAKS test scores back:
Reading, commended performance, missed one question.
Math, commended performance, missed one question.
Science, commended performance, missed one question.
He's kind of cheesed he missed a science question. Mom would credit the tutoring/brain training, but he's always gotten commended performance, except on writing and has only missed honor roll twice out of how many quarters/grading periods. But I am really proud of his test scores, becuase we know he is perfectly capable of that.
Everyone wonders why I freak out about spelling (the reason we got the training was his inability to spell simple words to save his life). Bad spelling bothers me. It's an issue, probably too much of one. An occasional misspelling is fine, but a 5th grader should be able to spell "when" and "wet" correctly (not wen and whet). If you can take a shoebox and wire it for electricity with an on/off switch for the light bulb, you should at least be able to spell light, wire, and shoe. All that time relearning phonics and he still can't spell words, even if they are on the actual page. And it bothers me that some of his teachers have had an "oh well, they do everything on computers and can use spellcheck" attitude. That's my rant for today. Sometimes I hope he's just messing with me, but I don't think he thought that far ahead.