Friday, August 3, 2007

Camp Staiglesson

Last year when my friends went to Hawaii for a week for their 10th anniversary, I watched their 3 boys for the week, and since Rick was out of town for much of it for work, I needed a way to keep 5 boys aged 9 and under occupied. Camp Staigle was born. Since the spring the boys have been asking if we were going to do camp again. So Colleen and I decided to join forces and form Camp Staigleeson (our last names smushed together), which is this week, abbreviated due to stomach bug. We figured since 3 or the 5 boys are in Cub Scouts, we'd come up with projects to help them earn belt loops and pins for scouts. So far, so good, right? Well, Wednesday was Space and Astronomy day, where they earned their astronomy pin. The 3 scouting boys were interested and participated, even if it was a lot of bookish learning. The younger two (the 4 year old and Jacob), not so much. Yesterday was an attempt to earn the tennis and badminton belt loops and the (more intensive) art pin. Tennis belt loop, check. Badminton belt loop, nope. Art pin, almost there. It was like pulling teeth to get them to come and do some of the projects, even though they enjoyed the projects when they got to the table. At that point Colleen and I decided to skip the language and culture belt loop and just get them to go for the ice skating belt loop later today. So yes, while it's 90+ degrees outside, we get to go bundle up in jeans and sweatshirts and head to the ice rink. Should be fun. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to share later.