Sunday, August 3, 2008

Yukon and White Pass Railway






I must admit, I thought this shore excursion that Jacob and I went on was pretty cool. I'll also admit that Jacob spent most of the 3 hours watching his portable dvd player while looking out the window. He was happy, I was happy, it was a rare win-win situation. Betty and Randy left on their excursion about a half an hour before we did (they went on a train that went further into Canada and then took a motor coach back down). Our train was the first in line after that, so instead of stopping at the border, having the passengers switch sides of the train and then go back down without turning the train around (just the engine, which is what we did when we rode the Heber Creeper in Utah), we got to go a little further up into the tundra and do a loop turn around before heading back down with everyone still in their original seats. I even took some pictures of the gulches and valleys so I could prove to Rick that I actually looked over the edge (but not for very long). I think that the train that we could see further up the mountain might have been Randy and Betty's train. Jacob really liked the two tunnels; I wasn't fond of being in the bathroom helping Jacob during the longer tunnel on the trip back down! It was just cool to go from sea level, to the mountains to the tundra and then go back through it all again. Definitely worth it, and Jacob was so happy to be on a train, watching Thomas the train. If you look at the last picture, taken about 7 miles up the mountain, you can see the 4 cruise ships at dock; ours is the one on the far right.