Wednesday, June 4, 2008

ABC class Picnic




The actual name of Jacob's class this year is the ABC--I think it stands for Adaptive Behavior Class. I say I think because, quite honestly, it seems like the school district changes the title of the class each year. By law they can't call it Special Education (not inclusive enough), and it used to be CAC-20 (Continuing Access Curriculum, maybe?). It'll probably be called something different next year. Anyway, they had their end of year picnic today (the last day of school for the boys is tomorrow) at the little park that is directly behind the school grounds. It was extremely windy, but that at least helped keep the heat down to bearable levels. The kids ate and then played with bubbles. Jacob, being Jacob, did pretty good for the first 2 hours of the planned 3 hour picnic. He ate, blew bubbles, played on the playground equipment (and was the only kid to do so. Man, I so do not know what it's like to tell a kid to sit down, and have him stay sitting for 2 hours. Can somebody please tell me what that's like? The most I've ever gotten is 20 minutes.) And then that's when he started getting bored. And a bored Jacob is never a good thing. In the space of ten minutes, he dumped a garbage can, a bottle of bubbles, a bottle of water and, essentially, molested his teacher. Grabbed her and got her into a Hollywood style dip before planting a big old kiss on her. (Ok, it's cute when he's 8, but as he gets older it won't be considered cute, it'll be considered sexual assault. How lovely of a thought is that?) By then it was only noon, and he still had 3 hours of school left. As it was I just decided to take him home with me. They said I could leave him, but once he reaches a certain level of uncontrollability, all bets are off in terms of listening, safety, and wearing of the clothes. So, guess who got to come home with me today? He's much calmer now, thanks in large part to the Wiggles.