Monday, July 4, 2011

Vacation, Day 3: Yosemite National Park

Half Dome (8842 ft), not too far inside the park.
Yosemite Falls from across the valley.
I believe this is Bridalveil Falls
It was really, really wet. All the rivers were running hard and fast, which meant insane waterfalls. An article I was reading said that a lot of the falls are usually dried up by mid-June, but not this year.
This is on the trail to the Falls. It was a good 4" deep on the trail and all of us had soaked feet. Rick and Brandon had extra shoes, but Randy and I had to deal with wet feet the rest of the day.
Yosemite Falls

We had the worst parking luck. Every ti6me we would try and park, all the lots would be full, so Rick would drop us off and circle until he found a spot. Then when we would leave, anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes later, the parking lot would be empty. Every parking lot and every time. After walking around Yosemite Village for awhile and going through the shops, visitor center and the Ansel Adams Gallery (Rick and the checkbook are probably lucky that none of the artist prints would fit in my suitcase), we were driving out of the area, when boom, another view of the falls. Rick circled the car while Randy, Brandon and I went exploring.
While Randy was getting wet taking this picture...
...I was standing back getting this picture of Brandon letting the spray hit him.

El Capitan (7569 ft)
If you click on it to see it bigger, that is, from left to right, El Capitan, Half Dome and Yosemite Falls, the big 3 all together from one awesome lookout point. It's still not Yellowstone, but Yosemite was definitely nice to visit.