Monday, October 13, 2008

(early) Birthday Boy



For Rick's 30th birthday I threw an Oktoberfest themed party, fully intending it to be a one-time thing, except the next year, everyone asked when we were having Oktoberfest again. Then it became a yearly thing. Sauerbraten, kraut, sausage, cabbage, hot potoato salad, fleshkeikla, German beer and wine, specialty chocolates and cookies...and Betty's famous chocolate cake. Seriously, I think everyone came for the cake. The last few years it's just been one or two families in order to keep it low-key for Jacob, but one of those families moved and the other one we just don't see anymore, so Rick said don't go through the hassle this year, especially with the big block party. Except the cake. He had to have the cake. So, since it's shaping up to be another busy week we busted some steaks out of the freezer on Sunday and I whipped up the cake. Yumm...German chocolate cake with homemade fudge sauce. Seriously good stuff.