Friday, May 9, 2014

Garden report--April

I'm thinking if I hold myself accountable with pictures each month maybe I won't kill everything. Probably wishful thinking.


The roses:
Up front. These are the roses I found on clearance for $2 at Lowe's two years ago. They did really well this spring.

 And these are the mini roses I found at Kroger (grocery store) for $.99 each. I planted 12 in the bed and 3 in a planter.


 
By the mailbox:


This one really surprised me. Last year I had less than 10 blooms total for the entire year, so I wasn't very hopeful this year, but it really enjoyed the longer spell of cool weather.

 
The driveway side garden:

 
My only tea rose, Veteran's Honor.
And not roses, but two of the few non-rose plants I have:
 The salvia is going gangbusters.
 
 
The hibiscus tree I put next to the side door.
 
The backyard:



















Why, yes I do take frequent pictures of my roses.


 
The veggies and fruits:
 
The thornless blackberries:
Always nice being able to delegate digging duties to the teenager.

 
 

 
the peach tree:


the Satsuma orange tree:

the tomatoes and peppers:

roma tomatoes


Lemon Boy tomato

beefsteak tomato

The peppers:

green

purple


The veggie garden:

We used the frame from the old wooden deck and outlined it with bricks.

Cucumber:

Yellow squash:

Spaghetti squash:
 Corn:
 Cantaloupe:
 Watermelon:
 
We may try radishes and carrots around the edge, but it's already too hot for stuff like lettuce.

Anyone want to take any bets on what I kill first?