You know you've been bad about making your weekly phone call home when you Dad actually calls you to check up on you.
It probably goes without saying that school activities are always more enjoyable when you just get to go as a spectator rather than a planner. We had the school carnival on Friday, so at least the months of planning and meetings are over. I spent Monday through Thursday up at the school filling ticket orders and making ticket packets for the actual carnival. I swear I never want to play with tickets again. Friday was a 14 hour day of setting up, working the carnival and then cleaning and putting away. And I still have to go in next week and count the tickets for the different activities. At least I wasn't the main person in charge. Poor Tammy. A cold front came in on Thursday with 23 mile an hour winds (not common for down here) and it was projected to be around 40 degrees but less windy for most of the carnival. So she had to make the decision of whether to keep it outside or to move it inside. In the end some of it was outside (the moonwalks, Harley photo booth, confetti eggs and outside food vendors under an awning) and the games, auctions and easy food like hot dogs and nachos in the gym, with the kids performing in the cafeteria. Since Meadows Elementary is an open concept school (only the cafeteria, gym, special ed, bathroom and kindergarten rooms have walls, the library and all other classrooms are open to one another but separated by bookshelves and desks) the afternoon was spent rearranging furniture to facilitate traffic flow and cut off access to actual classrooms. Rick brought the kids up for the carnival but since I was working I only saw each of them for a few minutes. He was great about bringing my camera for me but I forgot to tell him to change the batteries, so I only managed to get about 4 pictures before my camera died for the night. Brandon says it was a great night, and he still doesn't even know that he won one of the lucky draw raffles (I think he won a bowling party with the 5th grade teachers, but I'm not positive.)